Department of Petrology and Minerals
1. ESTABLISHMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
Department of Petrology and Minerals (former Department of Mineralogy and Petrography) belonging to the Faculty of Geology was founded in 1976 at the Saigon University of Science which was then renamed as the Tong hop University Ho Chi Minh City in 1996 and currently as the University of Sciences, Vietnam National University – Ho Chi Minh City (VNU-HCM). In accordance with the current objectives and tasks of training and scientific research, it has eventually been approved and decided to be renamed as the current Department by the Rector since the 15th of June 2016.
Up to now, over 40 years of establishment and development, Department of Petrology and Minerals have made great contributions to training generations of sufficient skilled geologists from undergraduate (bachelor) to postgraduate (master and doctorate) for the country. Apart from teaching, the Department has also been actively participating in various areas such as scientific research on geology and minerals, fundamental surveys on mineral resources and geological environments, mineral technology research, research and appraisal of gemstones, semi-gemstones, and fine arts for many industries and localities.
Over the time, Department of Petrology and Minerals is continuously developing with a group of lecturers who are highly motivated and fully specialized and trained from different domestic and abroad universities. At present, Department of Petrology and Minerals is one of the key departments of the Faculty of Geology, University of Sciences (VNU-HCM) and takes charge of teaching a variety of basic and specialized subjects for students of the Faculty of Geology (University of Sciences, VNU-HCM) and the Department of Geology and Minerals (Ho Chi Minh University of Natural Resources and Environment).
2.1. Current staffs:
Pham Trung Hieu, email: email@example.com
Truong Chi Cuong, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nong Thi Qunh Anh, email: email@example.com
Bui Kim Ngoc, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pham Minh, email: email@example.com
Ninh Vu Luan, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2.2. Visiting lecturers:
1. Assoc. Dr. NGUYEN Thi Ngoc Lan (former Head of Sedimentology Department, Faculty of Geology, University of Sciences VNU-HCM)
2. Ph.D. LE Duc Phuc (Head of Department of Marine Geology and Petroleum, Faculty of Geology, University of Sciences VNU-HCM)
3. Assoc. Dr. TA Thi Kim Oanh (Institute of Geography and Resources, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology)
4. Assoc. Dr. NGUYEN Van Lap (Institute of Geography and Resources, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology)
5. Assoc. Dr. NGUYEN Viet Ky (Head of Department of Geotechnics, former Dean of Faculty of Geology and Petroleum Engineering, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, VNU-HCM)
6. Assoc. Dr. HOANG Thi Thanh Thuy (Ho Chi Minh City University of Natural Resources and Environment)
7. Ph.D. BUI The Vinh (Ho Chi Minh City University of Natural Resources and Environment)
8. Ph.D. DO Van Linh (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
9. Ph.D. VU Ngoc Hung (Sub-National Institute of Agricultural Planning and Projection)
10. MSc. TRAN Phu Hung (former Head of Department of Fundamental Geology, former Dean of Faculty of Geology, University of Sciences VNU-HCM)
11. MSc. MAI Kim Vinh (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
12. MSc. LE Ngoc Nang (Center for gemology research and application LIU)
13. MSc. CAT Pham Dieu Hien (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
14. MSc. NGUYEN Van Tuan (Corporation Survey Golden Dragon, Saigon Jewelry Company Limited – SJC)
15. MSc. NGO Van Nen (Corporation Survey Golden Dragon, Saigon Jewelry Company Limited – SJC)
2.3. Former members:
NGUYEN Duc Minh (Dean, 1975 – 1978, passed away)
Assoc. Prof. HUYNH Trung (Dean, 1982 – 2003)
VO Trung Chanh (Dean, 2003 – 2008)
Dr. NGUYEN Kim Hoang (Dean, 2007 – 2021)
Dr. VU Chi Hieu
D. NGUYEN Si Anh
HUYNH Van Hai (passed away)
TE Thi Le Hong
Dr. LE Manh Tan
BUI Van Trang (passed away)
D. NGO Thi Hong Van (passed away)
NGUYEN Trung Khanh (passed away)
TRAN Dai Thang
DANG Cong Minh
TRAN Van Phuoc
LY Kim Long
PHAM Van Sang
NGUYEN Nhat Khoan
TRUONG Thi Hoa
NGO Thi Thanh Mai
NGUYEN Van Chieu
Ph. NGUYEN The Cong
HOANG Thi Hong Anh
Nguyen Kim Hoang
Dr. VU Ngoc Hai (Hanoi University of Mining and Geology)
Dr. NGUYEN Ngoc Lien (Hanoi University of Mining and Geology)
Dr. NGUYEN Chi Vu. (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
Dr. NGUYEN Tuong Tri (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
Dr. VU Van Vinh (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
Dr. PHAM Huy Long (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
Dr. TRINH Van Long (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
NGUYEN Van Mai (South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division)
NGUYEN Van Hai (former staff in Sacombank)
3. TEACHING AND TRAINING
Teaching subjects of general geology and being in charge of training 2 specialities: Mineral Geology and Gemstones.
– GEO10004_Crystallography and Mineralogy
– GEO10005_Optical Crystallography – Rock-Forming Minerals
– GEO10006_Petrography of Igneous and Metamorphic Rock
– GEO10011_Optical Crystallography – Rock-Forming Minerals
– GEO10013_Field Geology 1
– GEO10020_General Minerals
– GEO10027_Field Geology 2
Mineral Geology Speciality:
– GEO10101_Methods of diagnosis, search, and exploration of solid minerals
– GEO10102_Metallic mineral geology
– GEO10103_The geochemical method of minerals prospecting
– GEO10104_Mineral Technology
– GEO10105_Structure of ore and mineral deposits
– GEO10106_Vietnam mineral resources
– GEO10107_Methods of researching ore minerals
– GEO10108_Non-metallic mineral geology
– GEO10109_Specialized Informatics
– GEO10110_Genesis of Gemstones and semi-precious stones
– GEO10201_Gem identification
– GEO10202_Diamond identification
– GEO10203_Ruby-sapphire-emerald and identification
– GEO10204_Pearl, Melo pearl and the other organic gems
– GEO10205_Placers deposits of gemstones and semi-precious stones
– GEO10206_Synthetic and treated Gemstones
– GEO10207_Cutting-polishing gems & process of making jewelry
– GEO10208_Semi precious stones and art
– GEO10209_Specialized Informatics
– Teaching and training various subjects of Geology for Master degree.
– Teaching and training various subjects of Geology for Doctoral degree.
4. SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND APPLICATION
4.1. Basic geological research:
Crystallography – Mineralogy – Petrology
Petrology of Magmatic and metamorphic rocks and mineralogy
General geochemistry, Geochemistry of mineralization processes (endogenous and exogenous processes), Marine geochemistry, and Applied geochemistry (Environmental geochemistry, Geochemistry of mineral prospection and exploration, and Isotope geochemistry)
4.2. Applied geological research for technological development:
Fundamental surveys on mineral resources, mineral prospection-exploration, and planning for mineral exploration and exploitation
Orientations for proper use of minerals
Environmental geochemistry, isotopic geochemistry
Research and technology transfer of minerals
Inspection of gemstones, semi-precious stones
Laboratories are equipped for teaching and research on different areas of petrography and mineralogy. They are Petrography – Mineralogy Lab and Gemstones Lab located respectively in Linh Trung campus (Thu Duc District, HCMC) and the main campus (227 Nguyen Van Cu street, District 5, HCMC)
6.1. National collaboration:
The Department currently has research and training cooperation with the following partners:
South Vietnam Geological Mapping Division.
Ho Chi Minh City Institute of Resources Geography (Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology).
Faculty of Geology and Petroleum Engineering, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, VNU-HCM.
Department of Geology and Minerals, Ho Chi Minh City University of Natural Resources and Environment.
Sub-National Institute of Agricultural Planning and Projection.
Corporation Survey Golden Dragon, Saigon Jewelry Company Limited – SJC.
Phu Nhuan Jewelry Joint Stock Company –
Consultant companies of Mineral geology, etc.
6.2. International collaboration:
Chungnam National University (CNU, South Korea),
Chonnam University (South Korea),
Guilin University of Technology (R.P.China),
Hiroshima University (Japan)
Address: Room C02, 227 Nguyen Van Cu street, Ward 4, District 5, HCM City.
Tel: (+84.28) 38 357449 – Fax (+84.28) 38 350 096.
Email: Head of Department: email@example.com