Department of Hydrogeology – Engineering Geology
1. ESTABLISHMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
In 1982, the Department of Geohydrogeology – Engineering Geology was formed and responsible for training in Hydrogeology – Engineering Geology speciality following the application orientation. In 2000, the Environmental Geology speciality was established in order to meet the trend and the broad application of Geology industry in the socio-economic development of the country. Over the history of nearly 40 years, the Department is constantly expanding to meet the increasing demands of society for training, research as well as technology transference.
2. HEADS OF DEPARTMENT
VO Ngọc Tùng, 1982 – 1991
NGUYEN Van Thanh, 1991-1995
HUYNH Ngọc Sang, 1995-2000
NGUYEN Phat Minh, 2000-2010
TRUONG Minh Hoang, 2011-2018
NGO Minh Thien, 2018 – Now
Ngo Minh Thien, email: email@example.com
Nguyen Dinh Thanh, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Le Thi Thuy Van, email: email@example.com
Nguyen Thuy Dung, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nguyen Thi Thuy Luyen, email: email@example.com
DO Ngoc Thanh, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tran Quoc Dung, email: email@example.com
Ex-staffs: MSc. VO Thi Kim Loan; MSc. THIEM Quoc Tuan, MSc. TRAN Thị Diem Chau, MSc.TRAN Thanh Trac; MSc. CHAU Nhat Minh
4. TEACHING AND TRAINING
– GEO10010_General Geodesy
– GEO10012_General Hydrogeology
– GEO10014_General Engineering Geology
– GEO10017_General Environmental Geology
Hydrogeology – Engineering Geology Speciality:
– GEO10401_Investigating Methods in Engineering Geology
– GEO10402_Methods of foundation treatment
– GEO10404_Soil mechanics
– GEO10405_Dynamic engineering geology
– GEO10406_Groundwater dynamics
– GEO10407_Investigating Methods in hydrogeology
– GEO10408_Water treatment methods
– GEO10410_Specialized Informatics
– GEO10408_Water treatment methods
– GEO10501_Environmental Soil Resources and Ecology
– GEO10502_Climate Resources
– GEO10503_Environmental geochemistry
– GEO10504_Applied remote sensing and geomorphology
– GEO10505_Geologic environment and hazards
– GEO10506_Environmental impact Assessment
– GEO10507_Methods of the determination of environmental parameters
– GEO10508_ Specialized Informatics
Postgraduate: Teaching and training numerous subjects of Engineering Geology
5. SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND APPLICATION
5.1. Research of basic science:a) Hydrogeology: Assessment of land, water, climate and ecological resources: Mapping of land use planning; of planning and management of surface water and underground water; using specialized software such as GMS, AquaChem, Aquifer Test, Modflow to assess water pollution, saltwater intrusion in coastal areas, regulatory impacts of hydroelectric dams, irrigation lakes, saline prevention sluices, irrigation canals; assessing the impact of climate change on water resources, land resources, and ecological regions, especially coastal areas.
b) Engineering geology: Geological hazard assessment: Surveying natural and man-made geological events such as earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, river and coastal bank erosion, inundation, rock landslides, subsidence and landslip, floods of mud/sand, flowing sand, etc. due to the effects of civil constructions and roads.
c) Environmental geology:
– Assessment of environmental impacts due to exploration and exploiting of construction materials, gold ore, polymetallic, petroleum, river sand, underground water, constructing works (urban areas and industrial parks), landfill sites, etc.
– Using remote sensing and GIS to monitor shoreline changes and to establish environmental geological maps as well as geomorphological maps for the management of mineral resources, water, and soil.
5.2. Research of applied science and technology development:a) Hydrogeology field:
– Prospecting, exploring, and exploiting underground water
– Finding out appropriate water storage and treatment solutions for the areas that lack water for daily use by artificially adding underground water solutions
– Hydrogeological surveying and investigating for underground construction
b) Engineering geology field:
– Surveying the ground and handling basement for construction works
– Site surveying and laboratory analyzing of soil mechanics, soil chemistry
c) Environmental geology field:
– Assessing the environmental impacts of construction works
– Applying GIS and remote sensing in studying geohazards and environmental hazards.
– Developing safe, easy-to-find processes, methods, materials for treating alum-contaminated and low pH water in a small-scale.
6. INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATION
6.1. Internal relation: The Department currently has research and training cooperation with the following partners:
Ho Chi Minh City Institute of Resources Geography (Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology).
– Southern Institute of Meteorology
– Center of Environment monitoring – Vietnam Environment Administration – Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
– Department of Natural Resources and Environment of Ho Chi Minh City, Binh Duong Province, Binh Thuan Province, etc.
– Southern Institute of Water Resources Research.
– Division for Water Resources Planning and Investigation for the South of Vietnam
– The number of companies operating in the field of Engineering Geology and Environmental Geology.
6.2. External relation:
Taiwan (National Central University – NCU), South Korea, Japan (Tokyo Institute of Technology, Đại học Osaka University), Thailands
Address: 227 Nguyen Van Cu Street, Ward 4, District 5, HCM City
Tel: (84.28) 38 302145 – Fax (84.28) 38 350 096
Email: Head of Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
FACULTY OF GEOLOGY
227 Nguyen Van Cu Street, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City
Phone: (+84) 28.38 355 271
Fax: 84.028. 8 350 096
Office: Block C, Room C13, 1st floor
© COPYRIGHT KHOA ĐỊA CHẤT 2023. DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT